Catholic Community of Waukesha

Parish History

In September 1949 the Archdiocese officially established "St Mary of the Immaculate Conception Parish." On Jan. 1, 1950 St. Mary's charter day was established. In the fall of 1950 the first St Mary's Board of Trustees was established and 229 children were enrolled in the parish school grades 1 through 8. By the time the school was completed 401 pupils were enrolled. In 1960 St. Mary's held its first annual Fall Festival. Mass was held in the Catholic Memorial High School gym and in the spring of 1963 Fr. Robert Enders, pastor, began the process of planning a new church building. Ground was broken on Dec. 8, 1963 and the building was completed and the dedication Mass was on Jan. 14, 1965.
 
During the 1960's the parish continued to thrive and additional classrooms were built and a school board was established. In the 1970s the first parish council was formed. In February 1974 St. Mary's celebrated its 25th anniversary. During the first 25 years, St Mary's Parish celebrated 3,274 baptisms, 711 marriages and worshipped with nearly 1,700 contributing members. In the fall of 1990 the Waukesha Catholic School System was formed to serve the children of the four city parishes. In 1993 St. Mary's began planning an addition to the church. Ground was broken on March 29, 1998 and completed with a dedication Mass on Jan. 23, 2000.
 
The church continues to thrive with a membership of 1,450 families.St. Mary's is often complimented on how welcoming and comfortable visitors and new parishioners feel when they join the community for liturgies.